Getting from Here to There: Early Forms of Transportation
What was it like to travel a long time ago? Students explore the changes in transportation as they experience a bumpy ride in a stagecoach, listen to a railroad story, and "drive" a streetcar in the Journey to Work exhibit. Then, they see ships that sailed San Francisco Bay in the Ships of the World exhibit.
- Geared to first and second graders.
- History-Social Science Content Standards: 1.4 and 2.1.
- This one-hour program (allow more time with a large class size) is available at the History Museum.
- Available on Tuesdays-Fridays.
- One chaperone per every five students is required.
- The cost is $70 for up to 30 students. Fee applies to one class per program.
Double Program Option
Due to the size of the galleries, the regular Getting from Here to There program is limited to one class per program. In the double program option, the program is extended by another hour. The activity hour includes more time spent in the Ships of the World exhibit and the students making their own model ships. One class will start with the regular tour and the other class with the ships activity. The classes switch places for the second hour. Each class is charged $90 for up to 30 students. Please note, some teachers find the second hour too long for their students' attention span. Due to renovations in the Ships of the World exhibit, the double tour option will not be available November 2013-February 2014.