People from Many Places: The Immigrant Experience
Discover the diversity of the people who made the San Francisco Peninsula their home in the exhibit, Land of Opportunity: The Immigrant Experience in San Mateo County. Students discover which countries immigrants came from, the rich cultural traditions that they brought with them, and how those traditions have become part of local custom.
Students participate in cultural activities divided into two themes offered different months. Toys, Games and Music: September through January Through play and craft-making, students participate in some pastimes enjoyed by Irish, Filipino and Italian immigrants. Paper Arts: February through June After learning about Japanese, Chinese, and Mexican celebrations, students create paper artwork.
- Geared to third and fourth graders.
- History-Social Science Content Standards: 3.3, 4.3, 4.4.
- 2-hour program offered in the exhibit and the Wells Fargo Learning Center.
- Available on Wednesdays (other days by special arrangement).
- One chaperone per every five students is required to assist with hands-on activities.
- 2015-2016: The cost is $95 for up to 30 students. Fee applies to one class per program.
Double Program Option
Due to the size of the galleries, the regular People from Many Places program is limited to one class per program. With the double program option, it is possible to schedule two programs to occur simultaneously. One class will start with the tour and the other with the activities. The classes will switch half-way through the program. Each class is charged the regular program fee.