Woodside Store School Program
Discover life in the 1880s. The program starts with a slide show that introduces the redwood industry and the Woodside Store. Then, students explore an old-time country store during an object hunt. Students soon discover that many of the items on the shelves are not found in modern stores.
The hands-on history program features three activity stations:
- Fill customer’s store orders.
- Use a two-man saw to cut redwood and make a shingle.
- Do laundry by hauling water, using a washboard and wringer, and hanging clothes on the line to dry.
- Geared to third and fourth graders.
- History-Social Science Content Standards: 3.3, 3.5, 4.3, 4.4.
- 2-hour program.
- Available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Six chaperones required to assist with hands-on activities.
- 2016-2017: The cost is $137 for a San Mateo County class of up to 30 students; $157 for other counties. Fee applies to one class per program.
To protect the historic site and for better quality of programming, school programs at the Woodside Store are limited to one class.
The school program occurs rain or shine. Some modification of activities occurs on rainy days.